beauvezervg

Beauvezer means "beautiful to see" and one has to admit that the homogenous architecture of the village allows one to confirm the title of "perle du Verdon" which is sometimes given to the village.

From the Middle Ages, the women of the village, during the long winter months, worked in their homes with the wool collected from the thousands of sheep which grazed the lush pastures . This home-made production responding initially to the needs of the community, quickly took on a much greater importance with the commercialisation of their goods in Provence and in the Savoy states. From the XVII century the communes of the Upper Verdon, Beauvezer and Colmars in particular, were important spinning centres. The mechanisation in the 1830's completely changed the countryside : an industry was created. Unfortunately, transport development failed to keep pace with this expansion and the gradual closure of the factories led many families to seek employment elsewhere. Today, only the large factory buildings are witnesses to a flourishing era of relative prosperity for the valley.

Previously, the village was constructed on the hillside where now the only remains are the chapel of Saint Croix (private property). After a terrible fire which even melted the church bells according to legend, the village was reconstructed in 1728 in its modern position.

It must be noted that Beauvezer was one of the first sites in the area to have integrated tourism into its economy, thanks to its recognition and classification as a "station climatique" by the Academy of Medicine in 1925.

 

FaLang translation system by Faboba

Adresse mairie

Mairie de Beauvezer

04370 Beauvezer

Tél : 04 92 83 40 61

Fax  : 04 92 83 44 64

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Météo